As I was in my nesting phase of my last pregnancy I decided one Saturday morning around 11am that I was going to spend the day sprucing up the powder room! Off I went to the home improvement store, craft store and Target (of course!). By the end of the day I had painted and redecorated this little eye sore that was a limey blah green from the day we bought our house. I was so pleased with the results. It feels a bit bigger, fresh, clean and up-to-date now. Check it out!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Paint Color #1: BEHR Flat Ultra White in Grey/Greenish color is “Ocean Pearl” #780c-3 (Home Depot)
- Paint Color #2: BEHR Flat Ultra White is “Sea Salt” #780c-1 (Home Depot) (Optional for a striped wall)
- Slate chalkboards 1.99/each (Michaels Craft Store)
- Colored Crayola Chalk 2.99 (Michaels)
- Wall spackling
- Spackle tool
- Fine sand paper
- Orange/Tangerine accents (or color of your choice) for a pop of color (Michaels Craft Store & Target)
- Paint tools (brushes, tape, etc.)
- Measuring tape
- Level (I prefer a laser level to line up wall décor)
HOW TO DO IT:
- Tape all molding and perimeter of ceiling.
- Remove any wall décor and any nails.
- Spackle all wall dents and holes. Let dry then lightly sand to smooth any dried spackling that may be protruding.
- Paint room with Ocean Pearl grey color. Let dry completely.
- If you are doing the optional striped wall….measure height of wall first. Divide the height of the wall by how many stripes you want…this will determine the width of each stripe. Use a steady hand, close eye and tape to place tape on wall to create sections of stripes, according to your measurements, to be painted in color # 2 Sea Salt. Press the tape firmly. I am very picky about my tape work and use the edge of a credit card to press the tape to minimize any paint bleeding under the edge. When dry and tape is removed, you can touch up lines with a small brush with whichever paint color is needed. This just depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. 😉
- While paint is drying, write letters in colored chalk of your choice on chalkboards.
- Once all painting is done and dry…add your décor! Voila!