Having just recently celebrated my 36th birthday…I feel like I’ve gained enough experience in my 30’s to make an inspiring short list of reasons that being in my 30’s totally doesn’t suck. In fact, I am quite loving my 30’s!! So let me get this started…
1) I REALLY GO WITH MY GUT. It’s true that through my 20’s I was a sucker for doing whatever I was feeling I should do out of obligation or the insecurity of just saying “no” to someone. I often feared that they would not be pleased or something ridiculous like be mad at me. Boo hoo. Now I trust my “gut feeling”. It never steers me wrong!
2) I TELL IT LIKE IT IS. I pride myself in being a very honest person. While the truth hurts sometimes….I can accept it and tell it when asked (and occasionally when not asked…see how honest I am). Honesty really is the best policy and at the end of the day you can feel good that you have gained the maturity and confidence to take on the truth no matter how difficult it can be to tell or face.
3) I LIKE MYSELF. I have definitely had feelings of insecurity through all stages of my life thus far. In my 30’s, rather than those insecurities making me feel like a big loser, I have learned to embrace the things that I want to work on to improve and those that I choose to accept about myself. I am pretty darn good at being authentic to those around me and finding that they…LIKE ME! THEY REALLY LIKE ME! The best part is looking in the mirror and being glad to be ME.
4) STILL GAINING MATURITY (well a little). I would say that I have grown to a place where I am a happy balance of mature and a smidge of 12 year old girl. I still find things funny that my kids find funny and I might crawl into their fort for a cup of tea. However, the maturity that comes in your 30’s to be able to instinctively know how to handle a situation and react to others is ten fold from my 20’s.
5) BECAUSE I SAID SO. Oh how I love and use this phrase daily. The confidence of knowing that what I say is what I mean. No waffling about it. No explanations or excuses needed. It’s really how I feel, what I want or expect. I don’t even have to be or feel like a jerk about it either! 🙂
6) I STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES. I definitely pay closer attention now in my 30’s to the simple things in life and taking each moment as a great gift. I appreciate family, friends and nature more than I ever did before.
7) I CREATE MY OWN HAPPINESS. I like to think of this as a healthy selfishness. I now control how negative toxic people in the world affect my life. I know now that I will get back what I put out into the world. If I work hard, be positive, contribute to the lives of others around me and love…I will be the lucky one. The return is always blessings after blessings. Everything from recognition in my work, happy upbeat days, supportive friends and the best loving and healthy family.
Hey! Are you in your 30’s? What else can you add to this list? If you are in your 40’s, 50’s, 60’s…on up…what do I have to look forward to?
Thanks for reading! ~Lisa