Oh my goodness you guys….do these look yumm-o or what?! So I confess, my worst eating habit is that I love to graze through the kitchen late in the evening….these may be just the option to satisfy my habit and make it a little healthier. They also will make the perfect snack for my little ones. I will definitely use them as a quick breakfast option that would be great paired with yogurt or fruit…especially on the mornings that feel a bit rushed and let’s face it…weekday mornings at my house….well, we aren’t exactly cooking up eggs and waffles! It’s go, go, go! 😉
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ½ cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- **You can substitute almost anything for any of the ingredients to work around food allergies, special diets, etc. Soybutter, almond butter, cashew butter, sun butter, etc all works in place of peanut butter. You can use creamed or liquid honey, or agave nectar or even maltitol syrup in place of the honey. If you do not like or cannot eat coconut try some type of crushed cereal, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, granola, cocoa powder…the possibilities are really endless. If you cannot find ground flaxseed you can buy it whole and grind it yourself in a coffee grinder or magic bullet or you can substitute any other dry ingredient in it’s place. Yes, the mini chocolate chips can be regular sized or carob or you can use raisins, cranberries, goji berries, or crushed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc) of some kind.
Recipe and Photo Source: Smashed Peas and Carrots